# of Children Sponsored: 6
# of Children Waiting for Sponsors: 5
Year Connected to ARM: 2011
Closest Major City: Kampala
Sponsorship Location Code: ECP02
City Population: 1,533,600 people (2009)
Distance to Entebbe Airport: 41 miles
Project Components: Lusaze Child Development Project, Parent Training Center, Orphanage, Lusaze Early Childhood Development Project
Project Overseer: Abel Ayesigye (Acting)
Project Director: Rebecca Nyinomujuni
Community Qualities: The main languages spoken by the people of Lusaze are: Luganda, Kinyarwanda, English and Swahili. Residents work mainly in the industrial and/or agricultural fields, producing crops such as potatoes, cassava, beans and green vegetables.
Average Income: $100 per month
% Orphaned: 40%
Literacy Rate: 35%
Primary Issues: Poverty, HIV/Aids & other diseases, unemployment, lack of shelter and flooding during the rainy season.
Meet Samson Wasswa!
When you think about a child that is 1 1/2 years old what comes to your mind? Usually, it is a picture of a young child running all over the place and starting to articulate some words. This was not the case for Samson, born as a twin in a family of 4 children, Samson suffered acute malnutrition in his infancy. His big brother Gideon, who was 9 years was his major care giver during the day while their mother was at work. As a result, Samson and his twin brother fed on poorly prepared porridge, and untimely meals exposing them to poor growth. Samson missed out on many important growth milestones including; the development of proper sight, crawling, walking and speaking. At 1 1/2 years (the time Samson was enrolled in our program), he could not crawl, walk or talk.
With proper feeding and a balanced diet offered at Lusaza ECDP (the children are able to have nutritious meals which range from breakfast (porridge and a snack), lunch (served with greens) and evening fruit as they go back home.), Samson has caught up on some of those milestones he had missed. He has gained weight, looks healthy, and the greatest testimony of all, Samson has learned to walk all by himself and play with his friends.
Unfortunately, Samson’s twin brother has not found a sponsor yet and has been deteriorating health-wise. He is currently hospitalised in Mwanamugimu (a children’s ward) in Mulago hospital due to malnutrition.
Program Overseer: Abel Ayesigye (Acting)
Abel Ayesigye is the current acting project overseer. He serves as the program coordinator for all child development projects at Africa Renewal Ministries. He is a valuable member of our head office staff and enjoys helping projects succeed at all they do.
Program Director: Margaret (Maggie) Nabwami
Maggie gave her life to Christ in May 1998 as a freshman in high school. Her life passion is empowering people in her community who feel helpless & hopeless with knowledge & skills that will help them transform their lives and be able to face life’s challenges head strong. She describes herself as “unstoppable”
Please keep Lusaze ECDP in your prayers!
- Our ECDP Structures/classrooms are complete
- Our site’s drainage system has been improved
- The health of our children has improved greatly
- Most of our children’s caretakers have found jobs and are now able to better care for their children
OUR PRAYER REQUESTS:
- Pray for our project as we relocated to our new facilities in Lusaze
- Pray for our program’s funding
- Pray for our children’s caretakers to come to Christ as their Saviour and Lord
- Pray for stability in our children’s families
- Pray for our children waiting to join the program to get sponsors
- Pray for more income generating activities for our children’s parents so they can better support their families
- Pray for our staff as they work with these little children
- Pray for the children, that they would continue to improve health-wise
- Pray for the futures of our children, that they would learn to love the Lord & serve Him always