# of Children Sponsored: 241
# of Children waiting for Sponsors: 47
Year Connected to ARM: 2008
Closest Major City: Gulu Town
Sponsorship Location Code: GUL
City Population: 331,600 people (2009)
Distance to Entebbe Airport: 225 miles
Project Components: Gulu Bible Church & a CDP Project
Community Qualities: Gulu district is found in the northern part of Uganda. Predominant economic activities in the district is agriculture, employing approximately 82% of the total work force. The total food production trends have reduced over the decade due to insurgency, post harvest food loses, cultural eating practices, poor farming methods, unreliable weather conditions and poor food storage facilities.
Languages Spoken: Acholi & Langi
Average Income: $30 per month/per family
% Orphaned: 60%
Literacy Rate: 38.8%
Primary Issues: recovering war zone, poverty, child soldiers & internally displaced peoples. The area is an economic recovery mode after 26+ years of war. Aids is rampant among people who were forced to live in camps. There is a high % of orphans as a result of the war.
Meet Oyoo Ivan & Akello Grace. They are twins, born in 2007 to a HIV+ woman who is mentally disturbed. We at the Gulu CDP project consider Ivan and Grace Miracle Children. After their mother gave birth to them, she abandoned them in a bush. Fortunately, a good samaritan who had gone hunting that day came across these two beautiful babies and called for help.
Community members gathered and offered to help the children by finding their mother. The mother, when discovered, accepted to take back her children and care for them. Due to her mental condition however, the mother has threatened to kill them many times. Fortunately, the community has been able to check in with the kids often and make sure that they are well cared for.
We believe that these children’s lives have been spared on many different occasions for a very special reason. When these children turned 3 years, they were granted placement through Gulu CDP and they have continued to grow and progress at a good rate ever since. Glory be to God!
Program Overseer: Ps. Martin Onen
Program Director: Dorthy Akwero
Please keep Gulu CDP in your prayers!
- That more children are sponsored
- That the presence of the Lord would move greatly in our church and touch lives
- That the Lord would lead and give the staff strength and wisdom to protect and direct the children they are raising
- That God would allow us to be a blessing to those around us, especially the children we serve
- We thank God for our project office building which has sheltered us for 2 years now!
- We thank God for our overseer, Ps. Martin Onen and his committee for their support and commitment to the program
- We thank God for the parents and all other stakeholders who have continuously supported us in so many ways
- We thank God for our sponsors and donors who have stood with us over time
- We thank God for our partner church in California
- We thank God for the great support and guidance we receive from the ARM Head Office that helps us with our day to day operations
- We thank God for Ps. Peter Kasirivu, for his visionary establishment of this organisation that has helped so many children in Uganda!