# of Sponsored Children: 293
# of Children waiting for Sponsors: 28
Year Connected to ARM: 2003
Closest Major City: Kyotera
Sponsorship Location Code: RAK
Population: 205,900 people (2009)
Distance to Entebbe Airport: 118 miles
Project Components: School, Church & Child Development Project
Community Qualities: Rakai district is located in the south central region of Uganda. Agriculture is by far the main economic activity in Rakai district with the exception of Katebe and Kasensero which are exclusively pastoral and fishing communities respectively. They grow seasonal crops like beans, maize, groundnuts and sweet potatoes and also grow annual crops like bananas and coffee. Although coffee has also been grown purely as a cash crop for many years now.
Primary Issues: Malaria is the major cause of ill health, and persistent poverty in the district. HIV/Aids has also led to many orphans in the area.
Meet Steven Luwerekera. Steven is all smiles now, but this wasn’t always the case. Steven was born into a family of 7 children. His father enjoyed alcohol, spending most of the family’s money on it rather than on family necessities. Steven’s father did not like him much and he threw him out of the family home when he was just 8 years old.
But even though Steven’s earthly father had forgotten about him, his heavenly father had not and he was given a place in the Ssanje CDP program soon after. With the help of his sponsor, Steven has been able to start school and he is now in primary 7 (7th grade) at Glory Christian School.
During school holidays, Steven has learned to repair radios to help him pay for his personal needs and school requirements. He has also learned to drive a motorcycle and offers his services as a motorcycle taxi (boda boda) driver to the people in his community.
We praise God for those who sponsor children like Steven! You have made a mighty impact in the lives of our children.
Project Overseer: Ps. Fred Mpagi
Ps. Fred grew up with his grandmother who was a witch doctor. He gave his life to Christ in 1991 & became involved in his local church shortly after. His passion is to preach the Gospel and see people grounded in the Word so they are not swayed by the things of this world.
Program Director: Tonny Ssebumpenje
Tonny was saved in 2002 and has a BA in Community Psychology. He is passionate about working with children and serving the Lord. Tonny strives for all of our children to come to know Christ as their Lord and he desires to see a radical transformation in the lives of the children in Rakai.
Please keep Ssanje / Rakai CDP in your prayers!
- Praise God that He has blessed us with a new office building this year (2012)
- Praise God that we have our first candidate sitting for his senior six this year. Please keep him (Frank Kambali) in your prayers!
- Praise God that we have 10 students in senior 5 this year and they are all doing well in their studies
- Praise God that the children are coming to know Jesus and accepting Him as their Lord and Saviour!
OUR PRAYER REQUESTS:
- Pray for the completion of our project office construction
- Pray for the children who have lost sponsors, that they will find new ones soon
- Pray for the financial support of our program that we will have enough to successfully execute all the project’s programmes.
- Pray for academic excellency among our children, especially for our candidate classes who will be sitting for their final exams this year.
- Pray for our project director to be completely healed after a serious car accident.
- Pray for the staff that serve with us, that they would be Godly examples to the children we serve