As a child sponsor you have the option to send your child 2 types of special gifts, the first being a monetary gift and the second being a gift package. Of course their are benefits & disadvantages to each type of gift. This page, is meant to help you understand those better and to help you get your special gift to your child no matter which option you choose!
At ARM we encourage monetary gifts for several reasons:
- It is the most secure way to send a gift to your child
- It allows for your child’s social worker in Uganda to purchase an appropriate gift for your child that best suits the child’s needs
- It saves money on costly postage costs, allowing 100% of your gift money to go towards the child’s gift
- Gifts are cheaper to purchase in Uganda, meaning that the money you send will have greater purchasing power and result in a larger gift than it would if it was purchased in the United States or UK.
We suggest monetary gifts of $20-$30 as Christmas, birthday or special family gifts.
You may send these extra gifts to the ARM USA office along with your regular monthly support and noting what the extra money is to be used for.
All monetary gifts will be sent through ARM’s monthly wire transfer to Uganda and the staff in Uganda will help your child choose an appropriate gift item to spend the money on.
PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT SEND MONETARY GIFTS DIRECTLY TO UGANDA, THEY CAN NOT BE CASHED IN UGANDA AND WILL BE DESTROYED BY THE UGANDAN STAFF.
At ARM we discourage sponsors from sending packages to Uganda for several reasons:
- The international mail system is not secure, it is possible for packages to arrive incomplete, damaged or not at all
- Sending packages is expensive. A package weighing 1lb can cost a minimum of $10-$15
- Packages valued at $50 or more are charged customs fees in Uganda, if the fees are too costly, there is a chance the package will never be retrieved from the post office
- There have been several instances of children never receiving your packages due to these and other factors
- Perishable food items
- Anything requiring electricity or batteries
- T-shirts with writing or logos
- Anything of great value
When sending hand written letters or packages to your sponsor, please do not use your own home or business return address. Your packages should be addressed as follows in the below sample, making sure that you place your child’s name and unique ID # in the mailing address: